CBC Radio has finally started podcasting their radio shows. Yay! So for free I can subscribe to the latest weekly podcast edition of all my favourite radio shows from Canada (you can too, HERE). You see, Canada barely exists here in the United States, it's never in the news and I never know what is going there anymore (funny when you think about how much Canadian news features American politics and the like).This morning on my walk I enjoyed a great edition of As It Happens - a radio show I listened to almost every day for years when I would drive downtown in the evening to pick up Ozayr from work. Today the ladies had a great story about a particular group of theives in Hamburg, Germany, who steal from high-end grocery stores and restaurants and give their loot to the poor. According to De Speigel online, their booty included venison, gourmet chocolate, Kobe beef filets and bottles of champagne priced at $126.30 each. They've been nicknamed the superhero activists because they pull off their heist wearing comic book hero costumes, and leave notes behind, a la Spiderman. They even posed for a photo on their way out of the store. You can read more about this hilarious story here.
I wonder what this group would think of the grocery stores in Minneapolis - the fanciest I've ever seen. The floors are carpeted at Byerly's, the shelves are black and mahogany at Kowalski's, and heaven forbid you should ever carry your own groceries; if you don't want to drive-through pick up your bags, someone will carry them to your car for you.
On a more serious note, As It Happens also did a disturbing piece on 5 Chinese Muslim detainees at Guantanamo Bay prison. They were awaiting trial (yes, after FOUR years of being detained) and were shipped out by American forces to Albania. Their lawyers literally had to fly out to Albania and look for their clients. Listening to it I was amazed that there are so many mysterious factors and political motivations behind "the war on terror". You can listen to this story too on the AIH website.
No comments:
Post a Comment