My baby, you are one today. You were born bright and early one year ago. You were born and before I could even see your face do you know what I thought? What a beautiful, strong cry. You screamed to the world that you had arrived and it was the most beautiful sound. I think I laughed when I heard it even though I was crying.
Your name means 'lion cub' and the strength it invokes I feel says a lot about our relationship so far. The proudest moments in my life so far were when I managed to be strong for you. These occasions, which to the outside world probably seemed like my darkest hours, were actually the ones in which I had the deepest of priviledges - to nurse you, to comfort you, to be your rock. You showed me that I could be stronger than I thought I could be.
At every age, but particularly this one, you are a delight. Your emotions abound: you are gleeful in your happiness, affectionate in your love, enraged in your anger, and absolutely headstrong in your determination. I wonder if you will ever be able to keep a secret from us, what you are feeling is always so plainly written on your face. Today you hit me in the head with a spoon and then cried. You are a wonder.
My heart almost bursts watching you and your sister. It's as if the combined effect of my love for each of you makes it almost too much to bear. You hug each other and wrestle sometimes too. You kiss her with your giant open mouth "mmmwah!" I have tried to tell Maymuna that this is your way of kissing, but she is convinced that you are trying to devour her. "Like a cupcake!!" she adds gleefully.
This year has passed so very quickly, and I console myself that I spent a good deal of it awake, nursing you. I wouldn't trade a single minute for mere sleep... what dreams could be sweeter than our little cocoon, all wrapped up in a blanket in our rocking chair? Never, never think that I would rather be doing anything else, at any time of day.
By the time you are old enough to find this and read it, you will know what I have to say is true: I love you, my darling girl. I believe you are a special gift, given especially to me.
Happy Birthday little one.
No comments:
Post a Comment