Sunday, September 03, 2006

Back to school

It feels like an autumn day today. A slightly rainy, cool, breezy day. On our walk this afternoon we saw some red leaves fallen on the sidewalk. I was showing Maymuna and telling her that before we know it, the snow will be falling. Snow! What am I saying! That's when it truly dawned on me that summer is just about over. We are going to a BBQ tonight, but I think that is our last holding on to summer's traditions...

You know that queasy, dread-filled feeling you used to get as a child just before school started again? Well, that feeling is filling our entire house today. It was a crazy summer filled with all kinds of up's and down's, but now Ozayr has to return to full-time serious professor business. And he doesn't even get a new back-to-school backpack or pencils to ease the pain. (Of course, the back-to-school outfit was always my personal consolation of choice, and fresh, crisp paper notebooks.)

I am optimistic about fall and winter this year though. With Maymuna every season is new, with more fun things to do as she gets older and wants to experience more. And I have visions of Hafsa rolling in big piles of leaves in the backyard. Ozayr and I will miss our annual autumn walk through the Gatineau Hills, which is a tradition for most locals to Ottawa/Hull/Aylmer. It is breathtaking all through September and October. I remember Ozayr's cousin's wife saying that when she moved to Ottawa from South Africa she only then realized that trees really do turn those colours. It never seemed real to her before.

Speaking of school... there is big news for my family. My brother Dan has been accepted to Medical School!! He will be attending Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia. We are SO excited for him. On a purely selfish note, I must admit to being a little bit sad as well. Dan kind of shows up in Minneapolis periodically and spends an undeterminate amount of time here. He is a very low-maintenance guest and a good natured companion. I suppose our visits now will be few and far between, I can hardly believe the twists and turns in our family throughout the last year that have put so many of us in different countries. However I trust that this is best for him and I hope it is a remarkable adventure for Dan. I know that we will remain close; the distance of oceans is nothing in the face of Instant Messenger and the like... This picture is of us together at the fair this year. Dan is growing a Deadwood goatee by the way, though I think it's more a pirate kind of look. Arrrrr.

Well, the thunder rolls... the rain has finally started. I had better check on the kids. Leaving you with a picture of Gatineau in the fall...

No comments: