Friday, November 10, 2006

A day for Maymay

Sometimes you are given a day that is truly a gift. Today was such a day on many levels. Ozayr took the day off after working some long and crazy hours over the last week or two. It was a 'bonus', if you will, one we didn't expect to have with him and it was all the more special for that reason. Who doesn't love an extra Saturday? On another level, today was a gift because I got to see my children and my husband at their best and most wonderful -- and I feel so blessed and happy tonight.

What did we do today that was so amazing, you ask? Well, today was a day for the children, as simple as that. It's incredible what your kids will show you if you just give them a bit of undivided attention and watch them experience things... Here are the pictures from our afternoon at one of Maymuna's favourite places in the whole world:


Our first stop was the habitat room upstairs, because this is where Maymuna spent the most time last time we were there. The crowds weren't bad, but I thought it would help her ease into everything gradually. This is her climbing the rope ladder, something she couldn't do this time last year when we were there. In fact, she did it so casually that I was surprised... she just kind of marched on up there...


Hafsa enjoyed the habitat area too because they have a soft kooshy area for babies to play around in. But of course Hafsa was not contained for long and the most fun she had was probably upstairs by one of the windows overlooking the streets of St. Paul (the other "city" in Twin Cities by the way). They think of everything at MCM, notice the window railings are all padded?


Before long we hit the face painting stand (do-it-yourself!!!) and Maymuna kindly let her parents draw on the sweet, kissable canvases of her cheeks. I did the heart on one cheek and Ozayr did the star... She was pretty pleased I think...


We traveled through the various exhibits in the museum and tried our hands at many things... We were musicians...



We visited the "real world" exhibit and rode a tiny bus and did pint-sized grocery shopping...

...and did some cooking...


....while Hafsa embarked on a bit of self-discovery of her own...


We left the museum pretty exhausted around 4:30 p.m. and went in search of food. We had a nice meal out together, and on the way home tonight a sleepy 3-year old said from the backseat, "thank you Baba, for taking us to the museum today..." Like I said, it was a day for Maymay, but it gave so much to me... :) Now the girls are in bed and I'm headed that way too. Sweet dreams!

No comments: