Thursday, January 18, 2007

My required reading

I don't make New Year's resolutions, but if I did, I would definitely say that catching up on my reading is a big priority for 2007. My parenting books are stacked sky high in the nooks and crannies of our house, and I think I should finish a couple of them before my children are 18.

First on my list, because I'm halfway through, is The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine Aron. That book isn't for everyone, but I think it's given me lots of great advice that suits our family. I have to finish it before I start anything else (because I'm just wired that way) and that's part of the problem. I have two great parenting books sitting here collecting dust that I really want to get to: How to Talk so Kids will Listen & Listen so Kids will Talk and Siblings Without Rivalry. Both are parenting classics, written by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. I get the sense from other parents that both books are excellent and contain wisdom that is useful no matter what age your kids are. I want to read them now to get the most out of them. I wish I had taken my sister-in-law Paula's advice all those years ago: read BEFORE you have kids, because you never have time after. So true!!

I am not suggesting a book club by any means (I have a terrible time honouring commitments like that these days) but I am giving myself another 3 weeks to finish The Highly Sensitive Child and then I'm going to start on these books. I thought I would begin with How to Talk... and just go 10 or 15 pages at a time, every week. I'll try to post every weekend about my progress with the book and anyone who wants to read along with me is most welcome! This way if you are reading too it might be interesting to share insights (via email or your own blog) and the big plus for me is that it gives me incentive to start (and finish) reading them. I know 10 pages a week is pretty slow, and it might take 6 months to finish each book, but they've been sitting on my shelf at least that long now, so I might as well start with a slow and steady approach, it's better than nothing. Other books on my list for later on include The Five Languages of Love for Children and Kids are Worth it! which are both around here somewhere... but we'll deal with those later (and I hope it won't be 2008!)

No comments: