Sunday, March 04, 2007

Southern Hospitality (Part 1)

I was in Savannah this weekend for the 23rd International Conference on Beginning Design. It's a very nice, small scale, non-high-falutin' meeting of people that teach foundation year design studies at universities across the world. It's the first time that I've attended one of these events and it was refreshingly absent from the one-upmanship and boorish pretentiousness that sometimes (I'd say 'often' but don't want to be accused of being a broad, sweeping generalist) characterizes academic events like this. Most of the attendees were architecture professors, but there was a healthy smattering of interior design, graphic design, landscape architects, historians and interested community members too. I met some good people, had some southern cooking and generally spent alot of time walking around Savannah. I even met a guy named Marlborough Packard. Great name. I came across an art store called '2 Pale Josephines.' I ate at Paula Deen's restaurant - Lady and Sons and took lots of photographs.

Savannah is a town a few miles off the coast of Georgia. It's old. It's historic. It's often the subject of many urban design lectures on city planning. It was made pop-culturally famous when Clint Eastwood filmed 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' there. I saw the movie a long, long time ago. John Cusack. Kevin Spacey. Kevin Spacey with a funny kind of mustache and greasy, slicked back hair. And a bad southern accent.

I'll post a bit more about the trip a little later. It's late, the girls are in bed. I have a cup of tea and my wifey waiting for me. Here are some images from Bonaventure Cemetery - just on the edge of Savannah - it's a very atmospheric sort of place...







No comments: