Been a few days since our last post here. And it's been a messy, messy few days. The girls have taken turns with a little tummy bug... and the results have been less than pleasant. And involve lots and lots of laundry. Hafsa just seems to take it all in stride, "yo, I had spinal surgery, hello? This is nothing. Excuse me while I puke on you again." I learn more and more about my kids every single day (like Hafsa projectile vomits! who knew? until day!) And will somebody tell me WHY children are never woefully ill during the daytime??? Sickness always seems to involve LACK OF SLEEP for the parents involved. At least 3 loads of laundry accumulated by 6:30 this morning, Hafsa got to go back to sleep while Ozayr and I got to get up and, well, wash our sheets.
Unfortunately today was also her day for bloodwork (re possible latex allergy) and we couldn't really put it off if we want the test results before we leave for our trip. So... downtown we went, and she got her blood drawn. Maymuna was strangely fascinated by the whole experience, being on the other side of the needle, I guess. She was very consoling... and wanted to see the hole in Hafsa's arm and the bandaid and hear every gruesome detail. "Poor Hafsa-mo-mo" she said.
Hasfa-mo-mo is one of our many nicknames for #2. Have you read Memoirs of a Geisha? There was a movie, but the book was much better. No time for a review, just trust me. Anyway, the protagonist's roommate is kind of a crazy geisha, and her name is Hatsumomo. She is a bit of a diva and has a bit of a temper, let's say (okay, she burns down the okiya, whatever). We called Hafsa Hafsu-mo-mo once or twice when she was kicking and screaming over something, and somehow it's become a regular little nickname for her (even when she's in a good mood, which is most of the time). Ozayr also calls her Pinball. Because she just bounces off everything. She's walking really well, but even if she's unsteady, she just keeps going anyway and the falls don't really keep her down...
Boy, this is a rambling blog post tonight. Anyway we were at the hospital today getting the bloodwork done. Our allergist recommends going to a children's hospital to get tests done because they deal with kids every day, they can find the incy wincy little veins etc. Pulling into the parking garage I was thinking, in less than 2 years, how many hospitals have we been to? Children's Minneapolis, Children's West, Gillette, Fairview Riverside... That's 4 and I'm not counting any doctor's offices or clinics... Am I missing any? Anyway, you Canadians reading would FAINT if you saw them... You would PASS OUT. The children's hospitals in particular are amazing. Not only do they have fabulous facilities, medically speaking, they are also designed with kids in mind. There's art on the ceilings over the beds. There are brightly coloured covers over the fluorescent lighting so there's no glare if you're lying in bed staring at it. There are play areas throughout. There are giant red wagons for transporting (well enough) children instead of hospital beds. The hallways are lined with interactive science-museum-esque displays. Honestly, the kids have a great time there!! We left the hospital today after a short visit (maybe an hour) with 2 Curious George pencils, 2 My Little Pony stickers and a book. Yes, a BOOK. You have to see it to believe it.
Before you accuse me of being wooed by the system here, I must assure you that I will always believe in universal healthcare. Everyone should have the right to THIS level and quality of care. Anyway, as great as the care is, and we've been very fortunate in the past to have access to it, I said a little prayer of thanks on the way OUT of the hospital today, that I was leaving and taking my babies home with me.
I know how lucky I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment