Monday, April 02, 2007

conversion to crocs

I can't believe it's taken us this long to get to this subject on the blog: children's fashions. It's unbelievable, and yet true, that buying clothes/shoes for your kids is actually as much fun as buying stuff for yourself. Hard to believe this could be true. But yes, it is and there's a whole lot less guilt associated with spending money on them... hence why my kids look so darn great, and I am still wearing clothes as old as time (thank goodness my mom came to town recently and helped me remedy this.)

This summer my kids will be wearing 2 items which I've actually recently changed my mind on. I used to find these things unappealing, but now, not so much. It is possible that my taste is devolving. Or perhaps that word, dreaded by all fashionistas, practicality, is entering my vocabulary more and more in regard to my kids' stuff.

First, Crocs. Yes, I hated these with a passion not long ago. I thought they were the silliest things EVER. Like, why be waterproof if there are holes in them?? Hello? But last summer Maymuna played outside with her sand & water table or at the park almost every day. And she wore the same sandals almost every day that got filled with dirt, water and sand. The idea of a shoe that I can run under the hose at the end of the day seems suddenly appealing... Even considering little Croclings for Hafsa now... Even considering how convenient slip-on clogs would be for myself when stepping out to backyard... Somebody stop me!! However, I still do have an ounce of sense left, so please do not consider this an endorsement of all the Crocs products... check out this rainboot... yikes!

Next on the list... one piece bath suits with pants and sleeves. No offense to other moms I know who've gone this route before... Despite all the fabulous claims from those who bought them, I wasn't that keen on them until last year when we put Maymuna in the one her grandmother got for her. CUTE!! And comfy and safe for wear in the bright sun, blah blah blah. So convinced am I, that I ordered some for Maymuna and Hafsa too from CWD Kids online to be their 'official' swimsuits for this year. Some places these can be quite expensive (holy 30 dollars Batman!), but these were only $16.99. Better.

Why the sudden summer frenzy you ask? Well, Maymuna starts swimming lessons tomorrow! Correction: Ozayr and Maymuna start swimming lessons tomorrow!! We agreed that Maymuna has had very little experience in the water, and for her to have some more exposure will be fun for her and a little more safe too. She won't be learning to swim exactly but learning water safety and "supported movements" which I assume means how to swim holding a boogie board or floaties or something. Ozayr agreed to take her to the class being taught here at the local pool on Tuesdays after work. Sweet! Maymuna is so psyched! (I am trying to hold in my laughter, I really am... picturing a man standing in waist deep water, with sodden little girl clinging to him... picturing myself, safe and dry at home, nowhere near said wet girl...)

So we're just about ready for summer! Bring it on! (bring on the sunshine I mean, it's been cloudy and raining for days! wah!)

No comments: