Can we go over a few basic road rules of interstate highway driving here?
The left-hand lane is the PASSING lane. The right-hand lane is for driving until you need to pass. So let's say I'm driving along (right lane!) and approach a cute little Ford going about 110 kms/hr (don't ask me about how many miles, I don't know! I am still after 2 years, winging the km vs. miles thing). Anyway, my speed is a little faster, about 115 kms, so I'll go around you Mr. Ford. Check mirrors, signal, shoulder check, enter left-hand lane and pass. There is no real need to speed up drastically, this is a 2 lane highway, and because I am going faster than him, I will naturally overtake him. So WHY I ASK YOU, does there always have to be a GIANT pick-up truck or SUV that comes hurtling down the highway at 130 kms coming right UP MY BUTT??!! Buddy, I am PASSING another car, and it'll only take a second! I'm sorry that you appeared here out of nowhere, but you are driving extremely fast. GET OFF MY TAIL!! This is the same driver who, when a line of cars is passing a slower vehicle like an RV or tractor, will weave in and out of the passing lane, trying to get further ahead of everybody else who are effectively and respectably waiting their turn to get past. I am irritated by you!!
Then there is the driver who insists on driving in the left-hand lane ALL THE TIME because he or she considers himself (let's be honest it's almost always a GUY) a speedy gonzales and, hey, will need to pass someone eventually right? NO, YOU ARE BLOCKING THE PASSING LANE FOR EVERYONE ELSE BETWEEN HERE AND YOUR DESTINATION. Pass and move to the right! Heaven forbid that you should be passed yourself, right? You must be the fastest and coolest speedster on the road! I'm sure!! I am irritated by you!
Can you tell that I spent ALL DAY in the car today? With two kids? (thank goodness for the husband with infinite patience but anyway)
We're home. Safe and sound. Just grumpy.
No comments:
Post a Comment