Saturday, October 06, 2007

Practice Birthday

It's right around the corner - the Lamb turns FOUR later this week (inshallah). Unfortunately my parents leave town on Monday - it will be the first of her birthdays they've ever missed. And thus Practice Birthday was born. (I think someone should have explained to me that this actually means she gets TWO birthdays... Had I thought this through I would've dragged the gifts out of the walk-in closet and convinced her that today IS her actual birthday...)

Anyway, it all centers around food and accessories around here. Cake, cups, plates, candles, hats and party favours. I'll spare you the details of our group excursion to Target this afternoon, only to say that when you bring grandparents with you, you are outnumbered, they will always side with the child!! A life lesson that I had temporarily forgotten. Anyway, when we came back it was time to get started with the cake. After it was baked, it was the Lamb's privilege to decorate it. I am pretty cool with whatever in this area, I mean, the cake is for HER, I'm not entering it in the State Fair or something. So I gave her lots of options and she set out to CREATE and I was there to simply assist.


Meanwhile the Lion scooted around the kitchen picking up sprinkles and getting a lick off a spoon every once in a while, absolutely delighted.


Here's what we ended up with:


Candles, icing, swirls, hearts, sprinkles, candles and princess cake toppers, which we pilfered from her cousin's cake this summer (thank you Safiya!) Truly over the top and so very truly an almost-4 year old's birthday cake. It was perfect and she LOVED it. Between the six of us we managed to eat about half the cake (and drink 2 liters of water).


I have a feeling it's going to be 'birthday week' around here....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A new tradition?
Something to do every year perhaps?

haha, so are you having a little get together on the day? with her fellow pre-schoolers maybe?