Sunday, February 03, 2008

Be cold or be inside

January is over and for simply that I am grateful. This month has seen some record-breaking low temperatures and honestly I am just over this winter thing, I think it's time for an early spring. I'm in the mood for daffodils. Not that we're likely to see some any time soon (and not that February is likely to be any more temperate) but somehow it feels warmer to me just by virtue of not being January anymore. We have a good 3 months of cold weather behind us, and 3 months to go until we see those flowers again. We've crossed the halfway point in my mind, hence it is warmer in my heart even if it's not outside.

So the dead of winter is terrible timing for the kids to have a whole week off school, wouldn't you say? That was last week. I anticipated possible cabin fever and thought ahead: we had play-dates set up throughout the week, Tues-Wed-Fri... Unfortunately a little bit of barfing early Tuesday morning pretty much obliterated our plans. You just can't take a puking child anywhere really. She's just not wanted. Go figure.

Actually the week started out great: last Monday was amazing. It was warm enough for us to spend the entire morning outside, so I had high hopes for the week. Tuesday morning, however, the temperature outside was 50 degrees lower than the day before. And so, after our romp in the snow Monday we went outside only a handful of times, darting to the car and back, dashing out for supplies. Inside we set about entertaining the Lamb's every arts and crafts fantasy, because hey, we had time in endless amounts, and we stocked up on glue (you thought "supplies" meant groceries didn't you. Not in this house.)

So I will leave you with a pictorial summary of our week at home... Enjoy.









No comments: