Sunday, April 27, 2008

the Power of Words

People always warn new parents of the change that will occur once their baby is mobile. It's cruel to say it to a new mother of a newborn - but her daytime hours are easier at that stage than they will be in a few months (nighttime hours are a different story of course). Once that little baby figures out that he or she can get around, cause trouble, investigate and has power over their own little body... well, it's a whole new ballgame isn't it. Things are never the same.

I have a theory, developed in light of recent events around here. I am coming to believe that once your child can talk (not just a few words, I mean, sentences, honest expressions of their wants, needs, OPINIONS) you are similarly entering into a whole new transformative realm, and there is no turning back. Previously your toddler may have attributed her frustrations to the fact that you didn't understand what it was she wanted (even if you were just pretending). But I think that, the Lion Cub at least, believed deep down inside that IF I understood her, she would find her every wish and whim catered to, that I would be a willing slave to her command - once she could efficiently command.

Nowadays it's a lot like living with a dictator, a somewhat articulate 2 year old. She has mastered the authorative "NO!" and the slow but menacing demand "I... want... COOKIES!!!" Complex expressions of disdain ("it's not funny mama") and even road rage: "Go lady! Go!" She believes her word is the law and relishes in her ability to claim a stake at "first!" "more!" "NOW!!"

Here's a good joke for ya. What's the difference between a 2 year old and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist. Ha ha. (sob)

Actually I am being a bit facetious with this post, because it's not all that bad really. Along with those other words come "I love you" and little songs. But there's no going back, it's another one of those ever changing times, a Turning Point. Another step further away from baby-ness and much more little girl. It's all good, though part of me still longs for a time when the Professor was the only one around here who could talk back. ;-)

No comments: