So did you like that last video? Nothing like two kids going crazy over a tiny little red light so cruelly wielded by their prof dad. Actually, it *felt* cruel so we kept stopping, but the children would actually beg to continue the game, so.... on it went, for ages. Fun was had by all.
Everything is cool here. Looking forward to the WEEKEND. The first one in a while (a month or two) where we have NO PLANS. NO PLANS at all. Don't get me wrong, plans are great, and we've had some fabulous ones recently (J+E!) but man I am looking forward to doing nothing for a while. Nothing with my husband and kids, just hanging out. P.J.'s until noon sort of business. Our only goal is to assemble the patio furniture we picked up at IKEA this evening. I am prepping for a summer largely spent here in Minnesota, so it's about time we got a chair or two - I've been sitting on the back step for 2 years now whenever the kids are out to play. We did find a couple of chairs, and a child-size picnic table for the girls. I suppose they'll start wanting to eat all their meals outside soon. Am I crazy that I am not crazy for eating al fresco? I mean, I don't hate it, but I get so distracted. By bugs and stuff. Air, sunshine, breezes, you know.
It's the end of the day and I'm waiting for my tea. The Professor always makes the evening tea. He often makes the morning tea too (just a matter of who gets to the kitchen first), but always the evening tea. I don't know why I can't make tea at night. It's odd I know, but I've been serving children meals and snacks all day, running in and out of that kitchen, and now it's clean and done, I don't want to set foot in it again today. I'm quite happy to go without tea if he doesn't make any, but usually he does. It's just one of the many little kindnesses in this marriage of mine that I'm grateful for.
I went on a little ordering spree on Amazon.com recently, and am waiting patiently for some books to arrive... I had heard about this book from a couple of different sources and decided it was the time to bite the bullet and get it, The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections by Amanda Blake Soule. I can't wait for this one. It's not just 'crafty' stuff, but a whole outlook that I really do want to impart to my children as they grow up.
This second one I ordered with the Lion Cub directly in mind, seeing as she is so interested in exploring her physical environment and loves the outdoors: I Love Dirt! 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature. This may come as a surprise (not), but I wasn't exactly an outdoor-sy kid. But my own kids are very comfortable outside and I'm impressed that they roll around on the ground and get muddy and stuff - even the Lamb in her finest clothes (I BITE my tongue every single day of my life not to say "don't get dirty!") So I would like to spend some quality time this summer actually teaching them something about nature and the world around them. But, as I found out this morning while trying to explain the sewer system to the Lamb ("THE PEE RUNS UNDER THE STREET????"), sometimes you need assistance. I am not an expert on everything. Or at least I am not expert enough to show them everything in a fun and creative way. Hence, book.
Third, and really I've wanted this book for them for a long time, and free shipping for orders over $25 was just the excuse to get it: Poetry Speaks to Children. It's a great anthology of poems for kids that I've read through many times on loan, but have coveted a copy for ourselves. It comes with a CD to listen along. I've included a poem from it here once or twice before. I'd love for them to have an appreciation for written verse. I secretly suspect that there lurks great poetry in the mind of our tender Lamb.
Did I order anything for myself? No, I did not. But I have Book Club tomorrow night with some neighbourhood ladies, and surely that will require a trip to Half-Price Books down the street or the library. We just finished reading a memoir by Jeannette Walls, The Glass Castle. You can read more about it on Amazon, I found it fascinating and a good addictive read.
Well lovelies, my tea is completely finished and my eyes are starting to get heavy. I've missed blogging, hopefully we'll get back into it regularly again soon. Sweet dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment