Thursday, April 05, 2012

Allergy Friendly Foods

Sometimes I can't believe that we have been living with food allergies for eight years. Though I get my hopes up every year for her allergy testing, the truth is that we will probably deal with them on some level the rest of Maymuna's life. Though she has outgrown a few, others like sesame and egg keep getting worse year after year. Our allergist said her sesame score is "like a tattoo" - it ain't coming off.

In the meantime we have found lots of great recipes, including the Wacky Cupcake Recipe and the Divvies Cookbook most notably, that have saved the day and in the end Maymuna has not wanted much for sweets and treats. Even better we usually have to make them at home, which is probably better for them than the store bought stuff, and Maymuna in particular has discovered a true love of baking.

My latest discovery is www.allergyfreedelights.com, a fun blog with tons of recipes and an invaluable list of ingredient subsitutions. I thought I would share it here for those of you with allergies or sensitivities, or if you have friends who do. Enjoy!

No comments: