Thursday, January 31, 2013

Walking walking walking

Yesterday the girls and I tagged along on a walking tour that Ozayr had arranged for his students. The theme of the talk/walk was the city as "palimpsest".

A palimpsest is a manuscript page (we're talking a long time ago here, so probably parchment) which has been scraped or washed off so that it can be used again. Rome is like that, in a sense - layers upon layers of buildings/structures built upon the partial deterioration or ruins of what it previously was. Sometimes you can see it clearly in a single building where it might have the foundation from the 12th century, columns from the theater of Pompi, a Baroque facade and an internet cafe tucked in the corner. Sometimes a "hill" we walk on here is actually not a hill topographically speaking, but an incline due to the amount of rubble underneath the road or piazza.

It was a pretty great talk, and I did not take any photographs but occasionally the kids took random pics, so that's what I am including today :-)

No comments: