Friday, March 29, 2013

Bazaar and... bizarre?

Sorry for the extended silence on the blog! We have VISITORS! Very special ones as well, Ozayr's sister-in-law and her two boys. They are the same age as my kids, and we are having fun showing them around the city - when Ozayr is at work, the girls and I are actually the tour guides!! I will admit to at least one late night reading up on facts on the internet to be better prepared, but really there is barely any point trying to be intellectual about the Grand Bazaar - you just have to shop, shop, shop. The interior of the GB is large and overwhelming (for me at least - 4,000 shops!) and while we did a moderate amount of shopping and lots of browsing, I was pretty determined to take Nancy to yarn bazaar, the han where they sell yarn - LOTS OF IT. And it's really cheap :-). So it was quite an adventure with several stops for directions (Turkish people are sooo friendly and helpful), and we finally made it. And the yarn did not disappoint. I won't bore you with the details of our purchases, but I will show you pictures of what I call "Wedding Dress Street" along the way - as you remember, shops are often grouped according to their wares, and this was a fun one to see. The kids enjoyed looking at all the crazy dresses (you can see from the pictures that it is not necessarily custom here to wear only white) and swearing up and down that they were NEVER getting married. "YUCK!"









No comments: