This tea is typically prepared using two stacked kettles specially designed for Turkish çay.
Tea is drunk from small tulip-shaped glasses on little saucers - showing its beautiful red colour! - with or without sugar, your choice. (No milk)
This is not a tea reserved for special occasions. Turkish people drink this tea anywhere, anytime. You can buy tea on a ferry, in a park. You can have trays of it brought to your workplace by your local coffee shop, restaurant or sometimes convenience store staff. Here is a good picture I stole from the internet of the type of trays used in this case:
If the kids are playing at the park, I might buy tea from someone who wanders through, selling it. I don't know if you can see this picture very well, but you can click to enlarge it. This person looks like he is hanging out there for a while, but often times a man will walk through with a giant thermos and a tray with little disposable cups and sugar and stir sticks... A business on the go...
But really if you are going to be at the park for a long time - why not bring your own? I saw this family setting up at the park the other day, and was delighted to watch this woman pull an entire çay set-up out of her bag!
This is the traditional çaydanlik, on top of what appears to be a teeny tiny gas tank like you might take camping. I was impressed. Turks love their tea.
If you have a few minutes, check out this video of a talk by Katharine Branning, author of "Yes, I would Love Another Glass of Tea: An American Woman's Letters to Turkey":
Afiyet Olsun! (Bon Appetit!)





No comments:
Post a Comment