Okay I know how strange it will seem to you all that I am posting a recipe here. Me? Yes. A recipe. Cooking.
I know.
This one is so delicious and summery that I feel compelled to share it. It helps me stay in denial because summer is almost over, people, I'm sad to say it...
Chicken-Thyme Penne Salad
3 cups uncooked penne pasta
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups red grapes, cut in half
2 medium stalks celery, sliced
1/3 cup chopped onion (I found these a little too much the first time I made it, and subsituted green onions the second time)
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
1 and 1/4 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Rinse with cold water. Drain.
In very large bowl, mix pasta, chicken, grapes, celery and onion. In small bowl, mix oil and 1 tablespoon of the fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried). Pour oil mixture over chicken mixture; toss to coat.
In small bowl, mix mayo, milk, honey, mustard, salt and remaining thyme. Cover chicken mixture and mayo mix SEPARATELY and refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24.
Up to 2 hours before serving, mix it all up together. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Just before serving add 3/4 cup walnuts and mix. Sprinkle salad with remaining walnuts.
Ta-da! Okay, obviously this is NOT an allergy friendly meal... Don't forget to warn your hosts whenever you take food to a BBQ or dinner party where you don't know all the guests. It's all fun and games until someone gets a raging case of hives (or worse)!! Happy munching!
No comments:
Post a Comment