Friday, September 22, 2006

Ramadan Mubarak!!

It's the very beginning of Ramadan this weekend, a very special time for Muslims around the world... I am including a little Islam 101 below for any non-Mozzy's who would like to know about Ramadan and our traditions this month!

  • "Ramadan" [ra-ma-DAWN] is the name of the 9th month in the Islamic calendar. The Islamic calendar is lunar, each month begins with the sighting of the new moon. Therefore, Ramadan and Islamic holidays "move" every year according the Christian calendar, by 11 days.
  • As a cheerful greeting, Muslims say "Ramadan Mubarak!" in celebration of the beginning of this month. I don't know the exact translation, but it's akin to saying "Have a Happy/Blessed Ramadan", like you would wish somebody a merry Christmas.
  • During this month, Muslims fast (that is, don't eat) from sunrise to sunset daily. That's no food or drink. :)
  • Certain people are exempt from fasting: those in ill health, children and the elderly, pregnant and nursing mothers, people who are travelling.
  • Traditionally, many Muslims wake up before the sun is up and have suhoor [suh-HOOR], which is basically a big breakfast! Others (like Ozayr!) just have a tall glass of water instead.
  • At sundown, Muslims will often break their fasts with a date or a glass of milk before partaking in iftar [iff-TAAR]. This is often a really festive time, we gather together with family and friends to eat together, it's very joyous. I remember one Ramadan that Ozayr and I only ate iftar at home something like 4 times that month.
  • I could write a whole post about special Ramadan foods that we only make during this month - those foods are really a part of the tradition of Ramadan. At my in-laws house I can't even begin to describe it... chutneys, samoosas, almond milk, meat pies... all these things make it special, and often they start preparing weeks in advance.
  • Ramadan ends with Eid al-Fitr. Literally the "Festival of Breaking the Fast," Eid al-Fitr is one of the two most important Islamic celebrations (the other occurs after the Hajj, or pilgrimage to Mecca). At Eid al-Fitr people dress in their best clothes (kiddies often get a new outfit!), decorate their homes, give treats/gifts to children, and enjoy the day with friends and family. On this day we wish each other "Eid Mubarak!"
  • A sense of generosity and gratitude is important during these festivities. Although charity and good deeds are always important, they have special significance at the end of Ramadan. As the month draws to a close, Muslims share their blessings by feeding the poor and making contributions to mosques and charities.
  • Why do we do this?
    • Ramadan is not a punishment or a hardship - and we don't dread it at all, it is a very special time of year. It's probably the most spiritual and personal of all of Islam's traditions.
    • By not eating or drinking, really you are testing yourself and trying to resist the greedy part of you who wants to consume consume consume!!
    • You are also learning to identify with, and have compassion for, others in the world who are going without - at sunset you can drink a cold glass of clean water and feast on any food you want, but far too many people in this world do not have that luxury.
    • And on a purely spiritual level, it's the tradition that, despite its many social aspects, is most entirely between the individual and God. I could tell everyone I'm fasting and easily sneak a glass of water or a snack in when no one is watching. The honour of my fast is between me and God.
Well, there's so much more I could include, this is a tradition that's over 1300 years old after all, but I think I'll leave there for now... Ramadan Mubarak to all our Muslim friends and family -we are missing you dearly during this month. And darnit, we miss your awesome cooking too.

No comments: