So I spoke to my mom earlier this week and I asked her, you're leaving Wednesday right? We had agreed that they would arrive in Minneapolis on Friday, so I figured they would need two days to do the drive. No, she said, crack of dawn on Thursday. I questioned the wisdom, ever so subtley, of my parents making the drive here from Ottawa in less than 48 hours... I mean, my parents split the drive to their cottage - which is an hour and a half. Yes, I love my parents, they stop after 45 minutes and switch drivers. The trip from Ottawa to Minneapolis is... 20 hours.
Anyhoo. I get the message from Ozayr last night that they are running a little behind. Apparently my dad called while I was out. Where are they? They're in Sault Ste Marie. They haven't even crossed the border?!! There is car sickness involved and I guess they couldn't make it any further. I look around at the mass of the "Welcome to Minneapolis" decorations Maymuna and I spent a good deal of the afternoon making...
Tonight my poor dad calls again. We're just gonna crash, he says. We need to crash. I feel like it must be midnight or something, they sound so exhausted. I look at the clock. It's 5:30 p.m. I ask him where he is and he says that he's in Ironwood or something like that. Where is that? I ask. Near ---- (a place I've never heard of and can't remember for the life of me). Oh. I don't know where that is either. South of the lake. Which lake? I finally ask if they are calling from a hotel just so I can be assured that they are safe and not calling from the roadside somewhere unknown. Somewhere south of a lake. Yes, they are checked in. They're just gonna crash. Ozayr has deciphered from their area code on the call display that they are in Michigan.
Mom, Dad, if you are checking this blog from somewhere in the American midwest, hello. We are still waiting for you. I am laughing near hysterically because you are so cute and funny. We can't wait to see you. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment