Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Kids Hair revisited

My girls were looking slightly raggedy, so on Sunday I took them to the mall to get haircuts. You may remember from this post that Maymuna's first professional haircut was less than a year ago... I am pretty sure I did a good job cutting her hair up until that point, but I am much less confident with Hafsa.

Hafsa has 2 cowlicks, one on each side her hairline, plus a little pinwheel one just left of center. In the middle her hair just falls straight down and never goes any other way no matter how much we brush it to the side. Plus she is very wriggly, even trimming the hair out of her eyes has been incredibly challenging. The results of my efforts have been, well, either slightly crooked or just too incredibly straight. And I can't stand even the most good-natured laughter from Ozayr. Oh yeah, and how he takes a picture afterwards. And then emails it to his friends. I think it was the Jim Carrey comparisons that pushed me over the edge. Anyhoo. I thought I'd get her used to the whole professional haircutting experience early on!


I can't say that she loved it. Definitely not. But there were no real tears or screaming, though a few slightly shrieking protests could be heard. In the end I got a little envelope of hair labeled 'baby's first haircut' and she got to sit and eat Cheerios in her stroller while Maymuna had her hair done. I am sad actually that the little baby wispies are gone now though... but I guess in honour of her first birthday coming up it's apropos that she looks a little more like a little girl.

Maymuna is never going to get used to the haircutting thing, poor kid. This time they were playing Ice Age 2 (the movie) on the little TV sets and she was paralyzed with fear watching a saber tooth tiger attack some poor animal. Nice kids movie people! At least it kept her still... though once she jumped in surprise at something on the screen. Probably the pouncing.

Here is my darling girl, you can tell she's just loving the experience... I think this look is something I'm sure to see a lot of when she's like, thirteen.

It's like sad with angry undertones, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, we recovered and headed over to the coin operated cars and Maymuna climbed around on them for a while, and Hafsa munched on Cheerios some more.


So they're all cleaned up and Maymuna's bangs are just about grown out now too! A successful trip in my book...

P.S. Though it's pretty much common knowledge, it's officially out in the blogosphere: a little riddle from a previous post is resolved... click here to find out...

No comments: