Friday, May 12, 2006

kids hair

Maymuna had her first professional haircut this past week. I've been cutting her hair since she was a baby, but I think she's getting to the age where it will soon start to matter that her bangs are crooked. Plus the other night Ozayr said he thought she looked homeless... so we agreed it was time for a more polished look.

We tried once before to get her hair cut at the mall - with disastrous results. Many, many tears led to a traumatized haircutter, an apologetic mom and the purchase of several Berenstain Bears books. Anyway we found a place locally called Kids Hair. According to their website they specialize in dealing with kids, and once we arrived and saw "gum removal" on the list of services we knew they must be pros. The chairs are all kid-sized (complete with safety belt) and there are TV's playing videos at every station. Hilariously enough Maymuna was actually turned off by the videos. It turns out, as I've discovered lately, that she's afraid of puppets. She was traumatized by the man dressed in a panda suit on the Your Baby Can Read video (she said "I don't like cow" for days after that), and Grover made her cry when I tried to show her Sesame Street for the first time. Anyhoo. So The Wiggles are on the TV and there's someone dressed in a giant animal outfit - panic! So she insisted tearfully that the TV be turned off... that ALL the TVs be turned off. Luckily we were the last clients of the day, so they didn't mind when Ozayr went around to all of the stations turning all the TVs off.

Where were we? Oh yes, so the TVs are off and Maymuna is clutching my neck (I'm so close that I'm getting sprayed with the water bottle as Marci gets started). There's a GIANT tear all welled up in her left eye, I can see it threatening to fall. I'm telling her how proud I am of her and how she's a big girl now and I can see she's trying to be SO brave, machallah. And then all the sudden it's all done! They are FAST! It was worth every penny of $15. We were slightly early for our 4:45 appointment and we were walking to the car by 5:00 with lollipop in hand.

Here are some pics of Maymuna's transformation, before & after...





No comments: