Monday, February 12, 2007

Winter Fun

So, I have to admit - I am truly terrible at this winter thing. I am terrible at taking the girls outside, terrible at encouraging winter sport and I have not made one single snow angel this year. In my defense, it has been very cold out...

Ozayr told Maymuna that he would take her out to play in the snow this past weekend, seeing as the temperatures were decent. I thought we had better make this count, seeing as the poor child's winter fun memories are few and far between. So we did snow painting! (okay, I say "we" as in I supplied the concept and the props and Ozayr followed through with executing the actual out-in-the-cold part)

And of course I had the blog in mind when I also handed him the camera and said "take pictures."

My backyard is now a sparkling array of bright colours that bring to mind the joy and spirit of youth... for the most part anyway. In some areas it does rather look like the scene of some grizzly murder. Note to self: less red paint next time.

Speaking of winter, I was almost all choked up this afternoon over Winterlude of all things. An author/knitter I quite enjoy, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, has a witty little blog, and she and her family took a trip to Ottawa last weekend to go skating on the Rideau canal. They ate beavertails and taffy, they skated and saw the ice sculptures. It's ironic really, that I would be so nostalgic, because while living in Ottawa you would never catch me anywhere near Winterlude in weather like this. I'd inevitably get 'lost' at a Tim Hortons on the way. But there you go... when you're away from home these things seem so much sweeter. And less cold somehow.

No comments: