Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Let's move on now, shall we?

I don't use the downstairs bathroom medicine cabinet. I have all my make-up, toiletries etc. upstairs in the ensuite bathroom. It's easier that way because my stuff takes up a lot of room and stays separate from all the kids's stuff etc. The only time I go into the downstairs medicine cabinet is to grab a Dora bandaid for one of the kids. So needless to say, I don't linger there poking around.

Today I was in a bit of a cleaning frenzy and decided to clear up said medicine cabinet. It turns out that we are still completely stocked for intensive post-op incision care. Like, completely stocked. Ready, on hand. Take a look for yourselves:


That is exactly...

3 small capsules of Benzoine compound
7 cotton tip applicators
2 large bottles of saline solution
1 bottle remover lotion
7 medium size gauze pads
1 syringe
6 packets of wound closure strips (with 5 strips in each)
1 extra long gauze pad
15 small size tegaderm
1 large size tegaderm
2 extra long tegaderm

I just looked up 'tegaderm' on Wikipedia to explain to those who might not know what it is. It's basically a medical dressing, clear with very sticky edges. You might put a piece of gauze over a wound and then put a tegaderm strip over it to stick it to your skin, holding the gauze in place, keeping dirt etc off the wound. At the end of the explanation I read this:

"Those with delicate skin, perhaps through systemic lupus erythematosus or steroid use, would be advised to consider Mepilex Border instead. Tegaderm adheres aggressively, and has been known to remove areas of skin when being taken off."

No kidding! If anyone remembers our caringbridge posts, you'll remember that was a major issue for us. The strips were SO stuck to her skin and it was impossible to get them off without hurting her and/or pulling at the incision site (hurting her even more). Somehow it makes me very sad to think that there was perhaps an alternative...

But I digress! This post was supposed to be about moving on! Alhamdulilllah, no one in this family has needed extreme medical attention in over a year (unless you count MENTAL aid, that I do need). So let's get rid of these things that are just hanging around. I decided to keep some gauze and skin closure strips for bad cuts. I've dumped the saline and benzoine, and the applicators. The tegaderm strips were staying, but now I think they've got to go too. Adios! Good riddance! Moving on!

No comments: