Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rain, sun and a good friend

At a quarter to five today, on the fourth straight day of rain, the sun came out. We ran outside only to quickly realize that it was actually still raining. I nipped back in for raincoats and we stayed out, the children laughing, getting wet in the rain and dancing in the sun. The rain made the sand that perfect consistency for holding shape and form, so we baked cakes and built castles for a while. It was nice.

Before the rain came we had some of the nicest weather we've had all summer. Three cool, sunny days that were perfect for being outside. They were made even more enjoyable by the presence of our friend K, a lifelong friend of mine.

K has been to Minneapolis once before this visit, just after Hafsa was born. I had to admit to her that I remember very little of her stay with us last year. It must have been the sleep deprivation because I recall only three specific details: (1) the parking ticket machine was broken leaving the airport, (2) that I drove her through downtown on the way home from the airport, and (3) that we shopped at the Mall of America on the way to the airport to drop her off and she almost missed her flight. I vowed that this trip would be different and that K would get to see EVERYTHING in Minneapolis (and not from the car window this time).

We went to the sculpture garden and saw some perplexing art, including the famous spoon/cherry sculpture which is practically a trademark of this city.


The next day we went for a walk across the Stone Arch Bridge, one of my favourite spots in Minneapolis. (yes, she dared cross a bridge in Minneapolis) That's the best view of the city I've come across, so I like to take visitors there.


When we picked Ozayr up from work later that day we explored the Weisman Gallery on campus, designed by Frank Gehry.


That night we went to a show at the Guthrie Theater. It had been so long since I'd been to the theater that I was inwardly shocked when the curtain went up and the set was 3-D instead of a flat screen. It was a lot of fun to get dressed up and go somewhere with NO KIDS!

On Friday we did lots of stuff just FOR the kids, like the Minnesota Children's Museum!

Where we slid,

sold,

ducked,

jumped,

painted,

and PLAYED


our brains out!!

The kids love the MCM and K left us with a year's membership to enjoy - thank you!

Saturday was the first day of rain and so we hit the Walker Art Gallery for the Picasso exhibit in the morning. In the afternoon K and I got some grown-up time for lunch and shopping at the MOA. Where we spent a good hour in Sephora trying on cosmetics like the teenage girls we once were. Ahhhh...

The last time I saw my friend K, she was in the longest, slowest airport line ever, where she was to be perpetually delayed because of the bad weather. I think she eventually reached home at 2 in the morning. Thanks for coming K, it was so wonderful having you near us. xo

No comments: