Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I'm okay. Really.

So it happened today. I have suspected this moment would come, ever since Maymuna was born. She's Daddy Little Girl, but today she fully articulated it... We were arguing over whether or not she should wear a sweater to the park this morning and out it flew of her little mouth.

"I don't want you, I want Baba. He is BETTER than YOU. He is nice to me. You are NOT."

Low blow! Doesn't she know that she's broken the cardinal rule of families: never choose a favourite? and under no circumstances ADMIT it!! No, she's three. No rules apply, we speak directly in the moment and from our heart. I thought I would be heartbroken when she said it, but I wasn't. I just smiled. Ozayr is a wonderful father and I honestly do take as much joy in that as my children do. The last time Maymuna didn't want to wear a sweater he pulled out every single one from her drawers and closet to help her choose one that she would agree to wear.

So we went out to the park (sans sweater) and I asked her casually as we strolled down the sidewalk, "so you really like Baba more than you like me?" She didn't even look up, it was as if I'd asked her if she likes rainbows.

"Yeah," she said, unapologetically.

"Okay," I said.

No comments: