Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ramadan Kareem!!

It's that time of year again: Ramadan is here! We went out earlier to the local Middle Eastern food shop to stock up on some Ramadan staples... And let me tell you, it was insane there! At one point I was stuck trying to get through a particularly dense area and Maymuna started pushing on my behind, shouting, "I'll get you through Mama!" But this is not a complaint. It felt GREAT to see so many people, all picking up their special things... There was such a great atmosphere!

We got some dates (naturally), pita bread, hummus, frozen roti and chutney (FORGIVE ME, MA!), supplies for Ramadan milk and some other treats, like halal marshmallows with HAMZA! The Muslim Boy! on them...

Plus I found the chicken stock cubes that I like. They aren't just chicken. There is no label on them that I can read (it's mostly Arabic) but there are some spices in there that I can't replicate on my own with regular chicken broth from the store. Something about this broth makes my creamy broccoli soup simply divine. I've been rationing them. :)


Ozayr swears these are the best dates he's eaten in North America:


I found this in with the hummus and tabouli:


We'll see if this is any good or not, but seeing as we are severely lacking in shawarma here, this garlic sauce just might be able to console our taste buds until our next trip to the Palace on Rideau St.

Just saying that reminds me of iftar time (when one breaks fast) at any Lebanese restaurant in Ottawa: PACKED. The feeling is just like the one at the store this afternoon... crowded, garlicy, very jovial and festive (with a slight tinge of hungry desperation which we try to suppress). It's hard to understand that Muslims really do look forward to Ramadan. It's not a 'punishment'. And not something we carry out grudgingly. It's a special time with lots of ritual and traditions. Very uplifting actually. It didn't come immediately to me, this feeling, that feeling you get when a holiday comes around... but now it does, alhamdulillah. My heart feels light and happy. Ramadan Mubarak to all the Muslims reading. May you have a very very blessed Ramadan with your families inshallah. Love to you all xo.

No comments: