Friday, September 14, 2007

Ravenous while reading

We are big readers in our family. Ozayr has a book in hand at just about every moment. When we pick him up from work he is often sitting outside under a tree, reading. Sometimes he doesn't even notice us pull up. I find it difficult to divert my attention from the kids for very long, but magazines tend to follow me around the house, on the kitchen counter or living room couch so that I can flip through them when time permits.

When Maymuna was a baby we would put her on the ground amid our newspaper sections and magazines and eat breakfast on the floor next to her, reading all the while. So it's no surprise that the children are quickly following suit. So much so in fact, that we had to institute a Reading Rule. Reading is game during breakfast and lunch, but no one reads over dinner - that's talking time. Here are the girls at breakfast the other day:



It's probably a bad habit to read and eat at the same time, but it's not like eating while watching TV, right? I feel like I would be denying their true 'Loojee nature if I were to forbid it. It's practically an official family custom at Ozayr's parents house to devour the newspaper along with breakfast every morning. Reading and eating, it has a nice, munchy sort of quiet to it. I love our mornings...

No comments: