There's a lot going on over here. The Lamb has had the whole week off school and the Lion has been teething furiously, though in the midst of all this busy-ness, I had the chance to do something amazing for myself. Which I will share with you.
My neighbour started a book club last summer and while I am generally skeptical of such things, I joined immediately upon her invitation. Reasons to follow: I met 5 great women who live in my neighbourhood and they are all intelligent and insightful. Our ages probably span a good 20 years (with me being the youngest, yipee!!) and we cover 3 different religions between us. So the conversation is always interesting and offers different points of view. It's one guaranteed NIGHT-OUT without kids once a month and I thoroughly enjoy myself every single time.
We've read a lot of books over the last year. Some good, some not good. Little Women was a stretch for me... but as a precursor to our next novel it was perfect and I think I enjoyed March so much more for it. Our book this past month was Run, by Ann Patchett.
Now I don't have fabulous things to say about Run I'm afraid. I found the dialogue unbelievable and contrived. I found the back stories labored and heavy-handed (Sullivan, did we need you?). The characters were all nice, or at the very least well-intentioned (not a single villain among them). The plot was predictable and the emotional investment for me was practically nil. Most frustrating for me was that Big Issues were put out there, but never really dealt with (the story centers around a white family who adopt 2 black sons... but the book never addresses race relations except once briefly). Anyway, I'm not here to discuss Run at all. If you want to read a GREAT novel, read Patchett's Bel Canto. It is currently my favourite novel of all time. I had difficulty lending it out to a friend down the street. I didn't want to part with it. In fact there's a passage I feel like reading right now. And I can't. See? Should have kept it.
The reason we were reading Run for our bookclub this month is because Ann Patchett is on her book tour and was in the Twin Cities for a taping of Talking Volumes (MPR radio) this past Tuesday. Four of us got tickets and went to the historic Fitzgerald Theatre in St. Paul, affectionately called "The Fitz" in these parts. It's a very Twin Cities sort of thing to do ("what's playing at the Fitz?") and it was great to have a night out with people whose company I enjoy. I wore heels and a nice coat.
Let me tell you. It was so much fun. I expected that she would talk about her book, and she did. But she talked about being a writer. The feeling she had when she finished her first book. How she writes, when she writes, how it feels to her. She was funny and engaging and insightful ("grief is a debt you owe... you either pay it all in one big payment right away, or you pay it in little bits throughout the rest of your life..."). I really enjoyed her talk and came home practically breathless with inspiration. It was nice for me to get out and do something entirely driven by my own interests. I had a great time and never wondered once if anyone else was happy... or needed water... or a snack.
In my spare moments this week I keep remembering the things she said. It reminded me... that I have my own interests... that I can be excited about things that are strictly mine... that perhaps I even have something to say... or write...
I needed that. :)
1 comment:
My hostel room in NY still smells bad... *tear* I'm trying to stay on top of things in MSP every way that I can...
Post a Comment