I live in a fishbowl and our lives here revolve around preschool and naptimes and our insular routines. And though I was once a person who listened to the radio a lot and knew what was happening in the world, I have since lapsed. I think that when we moved here I just stopped caring. I mean, not caring. I care. But I get so tired of the politics of HERE. It's mainly the president's fault. George, he troubles me. The things he says. How he says them. His vocal swagger grates on my very last nerve. And he's the president, so he's on the radio EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I just can't do it. Public Radio (NPR) is fantastic here (somewhat left-leaning, much like the CBC) but I miss my radio personalities back home that brought me the news. Canadian news. There was at least a little comfort even in bad news, because I liked them so much. It's like I didn't take it personally coming from them.
Now, when I surface to wonder at the world around me I am shocked. It is suddenly obvious to me that this country is just going around, finding wars to fight. I mean, I thought that Iran and the USA were just sizing each other up before, but yesterday I listen to the radio to find out that the US is "willing to negotiate". Negotiate? Let's be clear. You don't negotiate unless you are essentially ENGAGED IN CONFLICT. These 2 countries are figuratively staring each other down. Two little men with BIG EGOS are locked in a staring contest - which one do you think is going to back down?
I don't pretend to know or understand the nuances of all this, the ramifications or the implications. I'm not expert, nor do I care to be. I just think this is a little crazy, don't you? I mean, there are still troops in Iraq... I mean, is the US going to run around and tear up half the world? Where does this stop?
I just think it's about time that this little man stood down and a woman took his job.
No comments:
Post a Comment