Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fever

The election talk around here is heating up. You can feel the charge, the excitement, the first scent of... change? in the air. I think that Obama fever has officially taken hold in these parts, and Ozayr and I are surprised how quick we're getting swept up into it. Not that I fully understand the electoral system here, because man, it is screwy, but it's quite fascinating, all these primaries and caucuses, the speeches and public opinion swaying this way and that. I didn't really want to get into it because I feared that Obama hadn't a chance... until now. When I woke up this morning and heard that he had won yesterday in several states, it seemed like the tide was turning. I actually felt excited about it and sincerely hopeful. Truth be told I've never felt inspired by or invested in a candidate, for anything, before. It's a new thing for me.

Today it seems like he has a chance, maybe it'll happen. And if Obama wins the leadership, then the Democrats might win the presidency. I think that Obama is the only one to beat John McCain. I don't know that Hillary has the charisma, policies aside (though I'm no expert). Don't be fooled, McCain isn't another George Bush. He's very witty and a good speaker, he can hold his own with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show for heaven's sake. I mean I've been trying not to think about it, get my hopes up, but today everything feels... different.


Here's a little video for Canadians out there who maybe haven't heard Obama speak. There are better, more relevant speeches, but they are all too long to embed here. So this is a *sponsored* video from Barack Obama dot com. It's funny that what he says sounds so common sense, but I haven't heard a politician talk like this in America since I've been here.



Yes, I know that I'm Canadian and really it shouldn't matter that much, but let's be honest, it matters. If you think of the imprint George W. Bush has left on the world the last few years... you know this could change the world.

In the meantime I leave you with a little tune, adapted in recent days from Queen...

We will ~ We will
BARACK YOU!
(sing it now!)

No comments: