Tuesday, April 01, 2008

it's all new

Welcome April!


Two months ago I wrote this post, basically in relief that the worst of the winter was presumably over. I was SO WRONG. But there you go, none of us knew how hard and long this winter would be. I guess I may have jinxed it. Sorry about that.

April Fool's Day today. Meh. Not big on that one, though I did consider surprising one or two friends, but they would see right through me. Not a brilliant liar. I thought about calling my engaged friend and fibbing some sort of wedding-related disaster... but I'll bet she was primed and ready for possible April Fool's jokes being the Queen of them herself (remember that time you "fainted" in the high school hallway? Classic babe.) So there we go, another "holiday" passed by the 'Loojee household without ceremony. :)

So did I tell you yet about the Lamb's dentist appointment? It was her first. Yes, I know that she probably should've gone last year, but I was really waiting for her to mature a little bit (ie. not be HYSTERICAL) before we went for a new (and possibly intimidating) experience. It went well. We took her to a pediatric dentist and they were kind, yet quick and efficient. They let her play with all the tools and play with the chair. They assured us that we could stop the appointment should the Lamb become uncomfortable or upset at any time, but (wisely) were so fast and quick moving that really I don't think that she realized she could arrest the momentum at any time.


As I thought might happen, I did have to sit in the dentist chair with her. Which was uncomfortable somewhat, but it kept us out of that crucial zone of paralyzing fear and anxiety, so it was worth it. Dentistry has changed quite a bit I think... I was expecting a small, sterile room with one chair but instead walked into the fast-food version of children's dentistry, at least six or seven chairs, each with a child and dental hygienist in attendance, and one dentist that hopped between them as needed. The Lamb's fluoride treatment was not a disgusting bumblegum flavoured goo in an over-sized mouth tray. (Remember sitting there for 10 minutes trying not to let the goo drip down your throat and gag you?) Her teeth were painted with a little brush (chocolate pudding flavour) within a minute. After it was all over they sent us home with the nifty Polaroid photo above and a loot bag.

The Lion Cub was very receptive to the experience and wanted to sit in the chair and have her teeth counted just like her big sister. Just as well that she was interested really, because the Professor and I stumbled upon this scene a day or two later:


The Lamb had pulled her reading light down from her bookshelf and they were Playing Dentist. A couple of things strike me about this scene. One is that I try to imagine the discourse leading up to it. Little Cub certainly didn't come up with the idea herself, so her older sister must have led her over to the bed, tucked her in and brought the light down. Obviously the game is understood between them both and it is a willing partnership. Everyone promised me that they would play together being close enough in age - alhamdulillah I think we have finally arrived at that stage. They have a relationship, interactions that do not necessitate me. It is lovely to watch most of the time. I wish I had been a fly on the wall watching this situation as it came about.

The second thing that I enjoy contemplating when I see this is how children make sense of their worlds through play. I see it constantly that new situations, snippets of dialogue, facts of interest make their way into their imaginative play every day. It's fascinating how something like this new experience at the dentist rolls around their minds for days, weeks afterwards, periodically popping up in conversation, their role playing, with their dolls, or the books they want to read. At this point in their lives they are not conforming to any one way of assimilating knowledge. And there's no rush, no test. They get to do it at their own pace, alone or with friends, standing up or running, exploring or quietly contemplating. Sometimes I wish they would be children forever.

No comments: