Monday, December 15, 2008

A word to the wise...

On Uncle Dan's first night in Minnesota we were enjoying a nice home-cooked (he's a student, a home-cooked meal is never more appreciated than by a student) and I overheard a snippet of a conversation between the LionCub and Dan which interested me. And has made me laugh out loud just about every day since.

We've been talking a lot about how to speak nicely to one another around here lately. We don't bark orders at one another, and we try not to hurt each other's feelings with the words we choose. We try to phrase things politely and be kind (you can tell I have 2 girls seeing as we call this using our "Rainbow Words").

At 2.5 years old I questioned how much my youngest daughter was assimilating any of this until I saw her lean over to Dan that first night and say, with the most serious expression on her face, like she was letting him in on some big secret...

"It not possible to be RUDE, in this family. [meaningful glare] We only be HAPPY. In. This. Family."

Then she raised her eyebrows at him a bit, as if to say "capisce?? you got it?"

Dan has behaved very nicely the whole trip.

..

No comments: