I think it's really fun that the first generation or so of American homeschoolers are now grown up. We have routinely run into adults here who were homeschooled. The woman who cuts the girls' hair was homeschooled. Once at a park, a man playing with his daughter overheard us talking and asked if we homeschooled, then told us stories of how he and his brother learned at home right up until they went to college. The husband of one of the moms from our girl scout troop never set foot in a traditional school. It's also nice to see that these are normal, friendly, functioning adults - indecipherable from "regular" people.
A few good blogs have started up, written by formerly homeschooled adults. I particularly like this one called Skipping School. We are not unschoolers (who use no formal curriculum etc) but a lot of what she says is still very interesting to me. This particular post *here* is about the nature of TIME for a homeschooled kid. I really think it captures the pace of our lives. Many women who send their kids to "regular school" say they don't know how I do it, but really it's me who is amazed - I don't know how THEY do it!!! Their lives seem so much busier than ours...
That might be the thing that I am most thankful for in our homeschool journey - there feels like there is time. For them to think, for us to be together, time for them to learn at their own pace. I love the gentle cadence of this life.
No comments:
Post a Comment