Friday, May 11, 2012

Sneak Peak: next quilt


Our visit to Istanbul this summer (inshallah) is made WILDLY more possible (and affordable) by friends of Ozayr's there who offered to let us stay in their apartment for the duration of our trip. Emre is Turkish and Brit is Minnesotan, and they met there on one of Ozayr's study abroad May-term trips. They got married last year and are expecting their first baby this fall. I really wanted to make something special for them because it's such a special time in their lives, and it is very very wonderful for us to have this opportunity to hang out in Istanbul with such ease.

I saw this quilt online and fell in love with its subtle zig zag pattern.

from Red Pepper Quilts

I have been looking for an excuse to purchase this particular line of fabrics by Lotta Jansdotter - which are cute, not gender-specific and sufficiently "cool" for the teeny architectural crowd. Lucky me, I have a ton left over after cutting the pieces.


I have to move MUCH faster on this project than the one before, I have less than a month to complete it. I am a little faster now though - and I chose a much smaller size! A smart move, I think....

Here is my initial pattern mock-up (in which the pink fabrics bit the dust, they didn't fit with the look I was going for).


You can (hopefully) see that the mixed neutral pieces make a zig zag pattern along side the patterned ones, but the look is subtle. The quilting lines on the original follow the zig zag to define it a little better - I hope that I can create the same effect. The quilt is aiming to be about 32 inches square (about half the size of my first quilt).

Right now the pieces are all divided up into the different blocks, ready to be pieced!


I am very excited to get to work on this quilt! I hope it's the perfect gift. :-)

No comments: