
Sophie's mom, Shelly, and I have begun a babysitting rotation with our little ones so that we can have more time one-on-one with our older girls. Julie and Sophie are almost the exact same age as Maymuna and Hafsa, and we're all pretty comfortable with each other. Hafsa had no problems hanging out at their place 2 weeks ago (and gumming all their toys, chair legs and doorstops no doubt) and Sophie too has been to my house enough times that I think she was pretty comfortable right away. Here is a picture of Maymuna officiating over the playdate. What cracks me up is that both babies are holding a ball, but both babies are looking at the other's ball... "I want that one!" written all over their faces.

I was struck with the responsibility, once Shelly and Julie left the house, of taking care of another person's child. I was a big babysitter around Lakeview when I was 12 or 13, but really haven't looked after many children since, and this might be the first time since I became a mother myself. I was also curious to see what it's like to have three kids in the house... consider it research or whatever... and I guess Shelly and I both agreed that it's not too bad, as long as you don't need to do anything else... like cook... or clean... or go to the bathroom. We both felt really focused, like when normally you might try to sneak away to check your email or something, you really have no choice but to stay and lead another sing-along instead. The option of a "time-out" not being available, I felt all the more in the moment with the kids. So how do the moms of three get by, with all the cooking and cleaning too? I don't know. I am waiting for an email from someone who knows the secret. I know such a person must be out there somewhere. Email me.
(Before anyone gets excited or freaked out I would like to publicly say that I am not committing to having any more children. I am not committed to not having more either. The jury is out. I'm waiting for said email, see?)
Then Shelly and Julie came back and we all had lunch together and a little playdating for the older girls. Here they are cozied up together on the couch...

The blanket they are snuggling under is the comforter we got at the hospital when Hafsa was there for her surgery. It's hard for me to explain what it means to me. This comforter was in the pre-surgery crib to which Hafsa was designated, and it followed us to the surgery, and back up to her room, until I just asked someone outright, "is this ours?" I couldn't quite figure out why it kept coming with us everywhere we went. Someone explained to me that it was made by a volunteer as a part of a group associated with the hospital who make hand-made items for the children admitted for surgeries and therapies there. It touched me for some reason that someone out there was thinking of us. That someone cared to make the effort to provide even the smallest comfort to us. Some warmth. By the time we left the hospital three days later I truly treasured this blanket.
Sometimes I would be tempted to say that I wish I could forget that little chapter... but I know that's not true. I cherish this little blanket and keep it out to play with in our everyday lives because I don't want to forget all the lessons I learned... all the good and generosity we got to see in each other and our family and friends, and even someone we didn't even know. We give dollars blindly to charities all the time, and I'm not saying we shouldn't, but if you get the chance to give something from your very own hands, something you've invested some time in, please do it. Your gift is infinitely more than just sewing cloth or knitting stitches, take it from someone who knows.
No comments:
Post a Comment