Came across this fabulous article, thanks to the parenting group at Maymuna's preschool. Maymuna's always trying to help out around the house, "can I help you?" is her catchphrase currently, and she's happy to do anything except vacuum, pretty much. Turns out that this is a great time to help her have an active role in the household... Check out these excerpts from this article "Chore Wars" originally published in Minnesota Parent magazine...
***
Research by Marty Rossmann, associate professor of family education at the University of Minnesota, indicates that parents can have a major impact on their children's future by encouraging them to help with tasks around the house.
Rossmann found that having children take an active role in the household, starting at age 3 or 4, influenced their ability to become well-adjusted young adults. "It seems there's a payoff to having children help out, beyond learning how to keep a home in order."
She analyzed variables - including parenting styles, gender, types of household tasks, and attitudes and motivators associated with doing the tasks - to determine the impact on the children. She then measured each individual's "successes." "I looked at the outcomes when they were in their mid-20s, focusing on what they were doing in regards to completing their education or being on a path to completing their education, getting started on some type of career path, their relationships with family and friends, and whether or not they were using drugs, " Rossman explains.
Rossmann's research indicates that the best predictor for young adults' success in their mid-20s is that they participated in household tasks at age 3 or 4.
"Being involved in household tasks at a young age is what made the difference for a positive outcome," Rossmann says. "Through participating in household tasks, parents are teaching children responsibility, how to contribute to family life, a sense of empathy and how to take care of themselves."
However, Rossmann warns, don't wait too long to get children involved around the house. "The key is to start early," she says. "If you don't, it backfires. The study showed that when a parent started their children in tasks at ages 9 to 10, or worse, 15 to 16, the children thought that the parent was asking them to do something they didn't want to do. They didn't get the concept of 'we're all in this together.' They were far too self-centered."
***
So obviously you can see why a mother like me would love this article, but the more I think about it, the more I believe what they say is true. Though I don't think it's because of the chores in and of themselves... When Maymuna helps me around the house, making food, raking leaves or dusting, it really does make her happy. I really think her self-esteem is boosted from the feeling that I value her help and that she is competent and has skills. Plus we are spending time together working on a common task which I think she enjoys. More often than not it takes longer to do something when a 3 year old is helping you, so I'm not expecting my work load to be lightened by any means... And by the way, I'm using the term "chores" loosely here... I don't mean a task that has to be completed every week or something like that. But if I ask her to take her (plastic) dishes back to the kitchen after dinner, I think that is in line with what she's capable of at this age, or brushing her own teeth, dressing herself in part, etc.
Funny, while reading that article I was interested in the idea of "success" in mid-20s, but far more interested in how to end up with teenagers who are willing to help out around the house!!
No comments:
Post a Comment