Tuesday, September 25, 2007

End of a LONG day

Tonight I logged on to my own blog to look at cute videos of my kids.

Because there is very little cuteness going on around here.

We started bedtime an hour ago and Maymuna is still awake. She is calling to me as I type this, requesting certain flavours for her birthday cake or something like that. Not 20 minutes ago Hafsa was screaming directly in my face as I tried to settle her down with her monkey and blanket. I seem to have grown in popularity lately and BOTH girls wanted me to put them to bed tonight - but separately. Don't get me wrong. I'm flattered. I love my children. I love that they love me. It's an amazing thing that we can spend the last 12 hours together and they can't stand to be separated for the last 20 minutes. I know that these are the best years of my life.

Just like I know (to quote a friend of mine) that giving birth was a miraculous experience, but in the moment all I could feel was the pain.

I am feeling the figurative pain tonight. Tired and exhausted we are all, I am really very desperate to leave this long and busy day behind us. I think a particularly crazy day leaves them wired and overtired, so they can't actually relax. Meanwhile it leaves me drained and sleepy. It wasn't a bad day. Just a long one... that needed to end, like, an hour ago.

I want to see their angelic sleeping faces... have a moment watching them that restores my faith in Everything Good (and the promise of an equally joyous and exhausting day tomorrow)... and go to BED.

Sweet dreams... :)

No comments: