Monday, March 24, 2014

Food (the first of many posts)

I have spent a lot of time trying to compose a good blog post in my mind about Turkish food. It's a cuisine that back home might be categorized as "Mediterranean" and it has components that are vaguely Greek (HELLO YOGURT) and Middle Eastern. But really it is something pretty unique and diverse.

When we travel here I am constantly having this debate with myself - I wonder which is best, as I bounce back and forth in my mind between my favourite traditional, sophisticated Turkish dishes of the many good restaurants here, and the irresistible draw of the awesome street food. Why do I even feel compelled to pick? I don't know.

Through all these musings (and munching) I realized that no one post could possibly do it all justice, so I will act the hipster and take photos and post about our culinary experiences as we go. It may seem that we are eating out constantly. That is not *quite* true, but it is very easy to eat out here. When we are on-the-go during the day it is extremely easy and fast to pick up a snack for just a few lira - not talking McDonald's, I mean real food, real ingredients, sometimes cooked right in front of you. Food here is quite inexpensive - we can eat a comfortable, simple dinner of durum for 4 people here for 25 Turkish lira - that's about $10. At the nicest restaurant we go to here for special occasions, we probably would never top $50 for our whole meal.

As I am typing this Maymuna just came in and asked if we could go out and get something to eat. She has embraced the food, despite her allergies, and she is a complete foodie at heart just like Ozayr... Got to go!!

No comments: